Hot Mess Moments

I recently had a conversation with a friend about how things seem to be going well. She said she saw on Instagram and Facebook all the fun things my family had been doing. She, like many others, said she couldn't imagine what I had gone through, and was surprised at how 'well' I was taking the loss of my son.

Well, I let her finish talking. I didn't interrupt. She really had no earthly idea what I have been through these past 36 days, but could I blame her? She's never lost a close loved one, let alone her own flesh-and-blood child that she carried for 9 months.

She really has no idea that I don't have a choice. I mean I guess I do. I guess I could choose to be a hermit and not shower. Or maybe choose to home-school my kids and pull them from any activities to try to prevent anything from happening to them. Or maybe just choose to lash out and curse God and all that is good.

But really, what would I be teaching my other 4 children -- when life gets hard, throw in the towel? Run and hide? Cower in fear? If anything, losing Jayse has brought me closer to God. This whole nightmare has shown me the power of prayer. The power in turning to God--giving him your pain, hopes, fears, worries. Praying for strength and comfort. I know so many people have prayed for me, my family, and Jayse. We have felt the prayers. I don't know how I could have gotten through the past 5 weeks without the prayers of my those praying.

I turned to my friend, and I said

Girl, first of all---you know those pictures you see are my highlights! There are twice as many moments that are filled with sadness or anger than those that are filled with laughter and happiness. But I'm working on that. Giving God my anger and sadness, praying about it. Praying through it. I find comfort in reading. Reading grief books, Reading prayer books, reading the bible. I find comfort in writing about it as well. But those pictures you see on facebook or instagram are certainly NOT the day to day moments, cause I struggle! Heck, we all struggle. Yes, most haven't had to deal with the tragedy of burying a child, but that doesn't change that we ALL struggle. I haven't cooked since Jayse died. We've eaten fast food, eaten at restaurants, or eaten already prepared foods. And my house--oh my, it is a mess! Right after Jayse was born, I was in the process of re-doing our living room--which got about 3/4s finished. But since he died, all that has gone by the wayside (for now). I'm sure visitors have thought--holy moly, these people live like this?!? But, ya know what, this is real world. This is my life. I'm FARRRRR from perfect--my house, my kids, my life. I'm a mess. But I'm ok with that, and I know God's ok with that, because he loves me. He loves our hot messes.


Our God is an awesome God. His promises and love for us is astounding. There's no other choice than to give the remainder of my life here on Earth to him. He died on that cross for you and me so that we could live with him for all eternity. I know Jayse is there, and I know I will be there too. That day will be glorious. But until then, I'm going to continue to sing the praises of our God, in hopes that others will turn to him in their times of grief.

And just remember, those highlight reels that we post, are snapshots of moments in time we are proud of---but those moments go hand-in-hand with the struggling hot mess moments that we don't snap pictures of, but maybe we should ;) 

6 comments

  1. Thoughtful words, my friend! I do believe that God loves all our moments-hot messes, Kodak smiles, and the ones that fall in between. You are certainly right that many are praying for you and your family-you are in my thoughts and prayers often these days! Love and hugs to all of you! xox Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you girl. Love your spirit and honesty. Losing a child I think is the deepest kind of hurt but I think God gives these things to the people who are strongest. And though you might not always feel strong... you are. And it's why the happy moments shine and the bad ones stay hidden. The funny thing is God sees them all, knows you better than you know yourself and loves you ... always ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an amazing women, mother and friend!! Love you so much! I can't imagine what you are going through. But you have chosen the right path to help you through this difficult time. Chris and the kids are so blessed to have a wife and mother like you. Hold onto your faith in God, he truly does amazing things to help us through these dark days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, this is so honest and heartfelt! Our family experienced a tremendous loss 5 years ago, and in the end, His promises were all we had to cling to. Prayers continue for your family! Truly you are impacting your other children (and all of us) in ways you don't even realize! Praying He will continue to be especially close and faithful!!! Thank you for sharing and encouraging us all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie this is beautifully​ written. I went through much trauma as a child and a very tragic experience as a young person that had people saying very similar things to me. We only see the outside. People have so much dimension and that is what makes us human. I've been praying for your family and will continue but if you continue to turn it all to Him He will bring beauty from the ashes. I know because He did it for me and my family. The next time I see you in church I will introduce myself 💙 Jesse

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top